Customers in an Adelaide shopping mall are literally in for a scare.
Shoppers at the Brighton Foodland supermarket took to social media to ask if they’re the only ones feeling electric shocks while shopping.
Shane Lavida was the first to start the conversation with a post on a local community page on Facebook, reports ABC News Adelaide.
“Someone else gets massive electric shocks when shopping at Brighton Foodland,” he questioned.
“It’s not a pleasant experience and I was never a natural break dancer until I started getting zapped there.”
His query sparked a discussion online, with others recounting their experience of being sapped.
“Every time I go there I am amazed. I avoid the store now if I can. It has been a hot topic locally for a long time,” said one customer.
“It happens to me all the time and it’s not nice so I hope a solution can be found,” said another.
Shoppers have indicated that the surge is often felt between the fridge and dog food aisles, while other victims have blamed their shoes.
“I get shocks all the time at Brighton Foodland. I thought it must have been caused by my shoes. Very unpleasant,” commented a concerned customer.
“It happens most visits for me. It also depends on what shoes I’m wearing. Sneakers are the worst culprits,” he commented for a second.
But as most customers expressed concern, some saw the funny side of the unpleasant surprise.
“It was a source of fun for my husband and he surprised me when I went shopping!” said one woman.
“This is shocking,” added another.
Static electricity is believed to be causing the problem, with Foodland CEO Franklin dos Santos telling ABC News Adelaide that the store was looking at ways to stop the shock as not everyone was experiencing it.
“The store has done absolutely everything they can to try and address the issue at this point,” he said.
“Fundamentally, there is a lot of humidity in the supermarket. If you think about refrigerators, you think about the environment you’re in, they dump refrigeration moisture into the air.”
Dos Santos also added that electricians have installed dehumidifiers in the air conditioner and that the store is testing carts with antistatic wheels.
But it’s not just Brighton Foodland patrons who are meeting with the shock, as Mr Lavida’s post encourages others to share similar experiences elsewhere.
Munno Para, Parabanks and Woodside Foodland are among several Adelaide shopping malls where customers have reported a similar problem.
“Happens to me all the time at Munno Para too, it’s our plastic shoes and static buildup, too bad I’m touching a shelf and not someone else because that would be more fun,” one Adelaidean joked.
News.com.au has contacted Foodland for further comment on the matter.